Thursday 10 May 2007

Anothers view

People's lives are rarely what they appear to be, more below than what can be seen on the surface. In some people you hope there is more to the person than the obvious, with others you wonder how they manage on a day-to-day basis.We all re-invent and dilute our memories, to reduce or remove the impact of certain events, but at what cost?

Today we visited my mum, to have afternoon tea and to give her a small Mothers Day gift. She was very suprised and pleased to see us. She looked very unwell, was extremely vague almost disorientated. She had forgotten the arrangements I had made with her on Thursday.

It was heartbreaking to sit there, watching her and listening to her stories, all the time wondering how many times she had reconstructed the past to make the present livable.
I can never truly understand my mum's view of her world, all I know is that she has often been sad,disappointed and isolated within her lifetime.

I don't want the same for me.

No comments: